Fix: Dynamics GP 2010 modify word template, File Not Found
Template maintenance in Dynamics GP2010 fails
When in REPORTS>>Template Maintenance, after creating a new report from an original report, clicking on “Modify” caused a file not found exception on our install of GP.
"File Not Found: C:\DOCUME~1\USERXX\LOCAL~1\TEMP\file you were savingcreating.docx"
Solutions on the web GP community forums
- Reinstalling Dexterity Shared Components
- Upgrading to GP2010 SP2 or above
These solutions were not working for us. Between us we spent too much time running filemon and looking at debugger tool traces trying to track the problem down. The traces showed the template being created in the user profile temp directory with no error, but in reality it never got there.
The server copy did work correctly. We spent some time between us trying to work out what the issue was and finally a colleague said something that made sense to me, so I checked out the theory.
I did a WinMerge check between the Add-in Directories (Addins subdirectory of GP application directory) on the working and failing machine and found the following missing files:
Copy the missing DLLs into the Adds folder
After copying all but the BusinessIntelligence dlls to the add-in folder of the previously broken install, the feature started working correctly again.
My guess is the managed storage dll is involved with the creating of the temp file… possibly.
Hence it would seem we’ve dropped these files as we have upgraded through the versions. We have our own Visual Studio Tools Addins in the add-ins folder. These are passed from version to version as we upgrade GP. My guess is these extra missing dlls got lost at some point causing the word template editing functionality to fail.
I hope this post has helped you get to the solution more quickly that we did.
Here is the working template in word