What a pleasant surprise I had upgrading our Team foundation server 2005 to 2010.
What I did, this was me stumbling through the process so if you want a more formal approach follow the many documents online:
- Took a VM ware snapshot of the server (SQL and Application Tier)
- Ran uninstaller for from Add/Remove programs of the server for anything TFS
- Ran installer for windows share point 3.0 and allowed it to upgrade in place
- Upgraded SQL server 2005 to 2008 in place
- Moved the virtual server to ESX from VMWare Server for 2G memory requirement at install
- Ran installer for Team Foundation Server
- Ran configuration wizard for Team Foundation Server
Now I have a super fast TFS 2010 server! I do so thank everyone who worked to make this so painless. In my mind I had set aside a week of pain to get this job done, as it happened it all took about a day, most of which was waiting for installers and converting the VM machine (needed a disk resize).