Solved having to click twice to drop a DataGridViewComboBox

The default behaviour of a drop down combobox in a datagridview is for it to require one click to activate it and another to actually drop it down.

Users can’t get this paradigm and so prefer for it to activate immediately on clicking anywhere on the cell. I have seen many solutions on Stackoverflow for this, but most require the arrow part of the cell to be clicked, not working if the user just clicks the cell in the middle. 


I found the following solution to work for me:

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellClick(sender As Object, e As DataGridViewCellEventArgs) _
Handles DataGridView1.CellClick
If (e.ColumnIndex > 0) And e.RowIndex <> -1 Then
With DirectCast(sender, DataGridView)
If .Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name = "PalletType" Then
.CurrentCell = .Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex)
DirectCast(.EditingControl, _
System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewComboBoxEditingControl).DroppedDown = True
End If
End With
End If
End Sub

This makes certain the column is not a header cell, and only does it for the column with the name “PalletType”

I also have the DatagridView set to EditOnEnter for the Edit mode.


UPS Worldship 17, Zebra Label Creeping

Labels creeping by a few millimetres when printing multiple labels or feeding a label was resolved by resetting the printer to factory defaults.

The before and after config labels are below for my future reference.

A note of the Zebra label configuration for stopping the creep effect on the tear off position on UPS Worldship.

WorldShip Zebra Config

Dynamics GP–Auto SOP POP commitments

I’d wrongly assumed it to be possible to commit a single sales line qty to multiple purchase order lines until it is fully committed. Frustratingly it does not work this way.

  • Any single sales line may only be linked to one purchase order line
  • Multiple sales lines can be linked to a single purchase order line
  • Units of measure must be the same on both sides, no buying boxes and selling each!
  • The check box must be set to allow commitments in the purchase order
  • The site IDs must match on both sides

This came about when I was developing a SQL script to automatically create the links between sales and purchase orders. As we accumulate sales orders we aggregate them into purchase orders against our suppliers adding in replenishment stock and stock required for manufacturing at purchase order time.

Once all the purchase orders have been generated ideally I want to link up the sales orders using identified priorities.

I also discovered that when the units of measure differ between the purchase and sales orders, a link is not permitted. This is all pants (technical term).

WilloWare Inc. have done some work in this area. Looks like they have their own table with a few forms over it that also hook into GP at critical points.

A new SOP-POP Multi-Link module gives you the ability to link a PO Line to a partial quantity of a sales line; link multiple PO Lines to the same sales line so that as different purchase orders are placed, or as a single PO is partially received, quantities can be allocated to one or more sales lines.  Additional features include: Batch ID’s on sales orders are automatically changed when they are fulfilled by the receipt of a linked PO Line.  The new module will integrate into Binary Stream so that split documents maintain existing SOP-POP Links.

As we use our own custom bespoke SOP item allocation service, it is possible that I can cook something up to do this properly with all the flexibility we need. First I’ll wait to see what pricing Willoware come back with.

[updated 28th May 2015]

We decided we needed the flexibility that owning the code would give us, so have embarked on our own solution for this to provide a more flexible version of SOP-POP linking.

WCF Service on Server 2012

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension 
configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be 
downloaded, add a MIME map.

My first experiences with Server 2012 had me puzzled for a few mins when trying to get some WCF service end points transferred from another older 2003 server.

It was solved by going into server manager, drilling down in the add roles and features to the server concerned, selecting Features. under the .NET Framework 4.5 features there was WCF Services, after checking the box and under that also selecting HTTP Activation to on, everything sprang to life.

There are also 3.5 versions of these too if the application is running on the older framework.