Binary Candy–Rack part 2

rack2rack1

Reader stand

After a bit of experimentation and debate with myself, I’ve decided on an almost vertical arrangement for the reader. This allows the numbers to be reached and slotted in easily even by 3 year olds, something I’m keen on achieving.

Using the mitre circular saw I’ve created the wedges and blocks, they will be held in with wood glue, its totally adequate for a job like this and avoids unsightly screws.


rack3

It stands up!

So now the glue is dry I’ve used the multimeter to determine the best level for the lowest possible position for the reader. I made the reader slightly wide to stop ambient light getting down into where it reads, but this means I do need to position it as low as I can to give a good position for slotting the numbers in and also seeing what they are.

It looks great and I’ve very happy with the angle I chose to go for!

Binary Candy–Binary Tiles

Making the Binary Tiles

BinaryTiles3

BinaryTiles2

BinaryTiles1
Creating the tiles! Using circular saw and lots of careful measuring I have some rectangular tiles.
They are designed to show what the number is (one or zero) above the reader a little, be shaped to ensure they are inserted in the correct way around. They are also of a size that they are fairly big for other visitors standing behind the person participating in the task to be able to enjoy the fun with them (keep it as inclusive as possible). It is always important to thing about both the people who are interacting with your maker project and the other nine or so standing watching!
I’ve made a few extra tiles in case of accidents or losses.
In the photo above you can also make out the reflective sensors peeking through the holes in the detector board.

Now for primer on the MDF tiles…


BinaryTiles4

White tiles get spray painted

BinaryTiles5

Number digits
I used paper template cut out and spray paint, inverse to the background colour to make ones and zeros. I was up at midnight spray painting on neighbourhood pavement away from houses, must have had neighbours talking!
I struggled with this one, I was trying to make the numbers almost look like graffiti in style, just causally sprayed on. Problem was the engineer bit of me wanted to pefectly centre and mask off each one and touch up any imperfections and do a couple of coats each to get a pristine number.

This is supposed to be inside-out maker style project I kept telling myself. I managed to just leave them looking “casual”.

I am struggling with the style of this project!


Using UPVA glue as varnish - trick I got from my Son. Mind you, now  the house smells like a infants school!
The glue you see above will dry to be transparent and will hopefully stop the paint numbers from wearing or getting scratches or chips.

BinaryTiles7

The finished numbers ready for action 9 of each should be plenty!

BinaryTiles6



Binary Candy–Planning and rack build

Inside-out ethos of this project

SensorRear

sensorsRear

Not quite literally inside-out, but this project is where I’m having to really wrestle with myself. At every step I want to hide the wires, the sensors, paint everything to a high quality smooth finish. However the words of a fellow maker ring in my ears, from the first Makerfaire we showed at. He said how its the only place where you get a bigger crowd around you by stopping your invention and taking the lid off than when it is running. So in this spirit I’m trying to make everything on this project look open so you see the wires on the front the painting is not finished, electronics is showing. Already I’m struggling with my instincts to make everything small, hidden and highly finished, but here goes…

Building the main binary input device “rack”

Wood
After buying some MDF and lots of cutting with the mitre and circular saws, construction really begins now for this Binary Candy project.

The main back board is cut, I’ve routed out the recesses that the MDF tiles (with the ones and zeros) will slot into.

I have found the routing left the MDF less than smooth, so I’m going to put a few layers of UPVA glue on and sand to give a smooth slot for the tiles to slide into.

I’ve forced myself several times not to paint the MDF on the detector board already to follow my home made, thrown together look I’m wanting this year.

Electronics
I’ve cut some tiny Vero board squares to mount the reflective sensors. The sensors have a infrared LED that shines onto the surface in front of them and a detector that measures the reflected light. My plan is to mount these in a position where they will see the back ground colour of the tiles. Ones and zeros will have inverse colours to make them discernible from one another.
I have gone for eight bits as it gives the visitor the a good number of tiles to wrestle with, yet hopefully not overwhelming the younger visitors.

The sensors have been friction fitted through holes exactly in the middle of each digit position. I’ve fought with myself to not hide the wires in the reverse of the reader stand, instead everything is up front and on show. -ewww I’m struggling with this way of doing things! :)

All in all I’m amazed how quickly its coming together in a I already have a major part of the hardware done.
The sensor board goes to a .1mm pitch IDT connector for quick assembly. I’ve leant from earlier shows that it is best to have a quick fool proof robust way of building and dissembling the project.